Tooth-colored fillings are made of composite resin. The composite resin is carefully color-matched to the shade of your teeth, so the filling blends in seamlessly with the rest of your smile. This material is also durable.
Tooth-colored fillings can be used to replace old metal fillings, repair small cavities, or treat teeth that are worn down.
How Are Tooth-Colored Fillings Applied?
Tooth-colored fillings can be applied in one visit. We will first numb the tooth and surrounding gum tissue and then remove any compromised tooth structure. An acid etchant is then used to roughen the surface of the tooth for a stronger bond.
We apply the composite resin in layers and harden each layer with a bright blue light. After the composite resin is shaped, we polish the tooth for a natural appearance.
What Are the Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
If your dentist recommends a filling, then a tooth-colored filling can be a great option. It offers many benefits, such as:
- Tooth-colored fillings are discreet. This allows your dental work to blend in seamlessly with the rest of your teeth.
- The material used is durable and can last for many years.
- Tooth-colored fillings, also called white fillings, are preferred over metal fillings because they are more aesthetically pleasing.
- Tooth-colored fillings don’t usually require anesthesia. However, patients with dental phobias or a strong gag reflex are often given a temporary sedative during treatment to ensure that they feel comfortable.
- They require less tooth structure removal than other fillings and preserve more of the natural tooth structure.
- These fillings allow patients to leave the dentist’s office with a brighter smile and strong, healthy teeth.
How Should You Take Care of Your Tooth-Colored Fillings?
You may feel sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures for a few days. If sensitivity persists beyond a week, contact our office so we may examine the tooth. Here are some tips on caring for your fillings:
- Brush your teeth after eating to make sure your filling stays clean and healthy.
- Avoid chewing on ice, pens, or hard foods. These could break your filling and cause problems.
- Do not drink any beverages other than water until your filling has been fully set.
- Have a professional dental cleaning and exam by visiting your dentist every six months.
To learn more about our dental services or to schedule a consultation with our dentist at our practice located at 2711 S Parker Rd., Aurora, CO 80014, you can either contact us via email or call H&M Family Dentistry at (303) 353-9611. We will be happy to assist you further.