Dental 3D printing is a type of additive manufacturing (AM), or 3D printing, that creates physical items from a digital file. The digital file is created by using 3D scanning to take measurements around a patient’s teeth and mouth. The digital file is then sent to a dental 3D printer, which puts together layers of material into the shape of the digital file. This creates a physical dental device, such as a dental crown, dental bridge, or dental veneer.
How Does 3D Printing Work?
3D printing is the process by which a 3-dimensional object is created from a digital file. The process starts when a digital file is sent to the 3D printer. The file tells the printer how to move its print head and build the 3-dimensional object. Once the object is fully formed, the printer will stop printing.
What Are the Benefits of 3D Printing?
Its benefits include:
- Through 3D printing, we can design precise dental restorations for your teeth.
- Our dentist in Aurora, CO can complete the entire procedure in the office.
- Traditionally, restorations like dental crowns were made in a dental lab and required multiple visits. Today, with the help of our in-office 3D printer, we can design, print, and place a dental restoration in just one appointment. This means that you can get back to your normal routine without wasting time or energy on additional dental visits.
- Dental offices use 3D printers to create models of patients’ teeth before a procedure. These models help patients understand what will happen during a procedure, especially when the process involves several phases.
- One of the benefits of 3D printing is rapid prototyping. From the digital design of the restoration to the printed model, a 3D printing process takes only minutes. This shortens the prototyping process, decreasing the wait time for patients.
- One of the most obvious benefits of 3D printing is the process of creating clear aligners. Clear aligners, or “trays,” are popularly used for orthodontic treatments such as Invisalign.
Is 3D Printing Technology Safe?
Compared to traditional manufacturing methods, 3D printing is very safe. A 3D printed object is manufactured layer by layer, rather than melting it down and reshaping it. This makes 3D printing technology a more accurate and safer way to create dental products and tools.
To learn more about our dental services or to schedule a consultation with our dentist at our practice located at 2711 S Parker Rd., Aurora, CO 80014, you can either contact us via email or call H&M Family Dentistry at (303) 353-9611. We will be happy to assist you further.