A dental CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to create detailed pictures of your teeth and gums.
This imaging scan is useful for detecting various dental diseases and conditions. The X-ray machine rotates around your head, sending images to a computer. A dentist then reviews the scan for abnormalities.
How Does the CT Scan Work?
A CT scan takes 3D images of your teeth and jaw. The images are created using X-rays and a computer. The scan is uploaded to an imaging company’s computer.
Our dentist then securely logs in to access the scan. The scan is examined by our dentist in Aurora, CO, looking for any issues such as decay, tumors, abscesses, cysts, or abscesses. The scan is also transferred to the dental lab for the creation of your restoration.
How Long Does a CT Scan?
If you are undergoing treatment that requires dental surgery, our dentist may recommend a CT scan of the mouth and jaw. A CT scan helps our dentist plan your dental surgery from the beginning, so you will know what to expect.
A CT scan is a quick, painless procedure that only takes a few minutes to complete. During the scan, you’ll stand upright, but your head will be positioned in a flat, open machine. The machine rotates around your head to take a CT scan of your jaw.
What Are the Benefits of a CT Scan?
- CT scanning provides a detailed image of your mouth, including your soft tissues, jaw, and teeth. During your oral cancer screening, a dental professional will scan your mouth to identify any abnormalities.
- A CT scan allows the dentist to clearly visualize the anatomy of the jawbone, the surrounding teeth, and the sinuses. This aids in implant placement, minimizing the risk of complications like nerve damage or sinus pain.
- A CT scan can be used to make sure that a tooth isn’t impacted.
- It can also be used to plan a root canal.
- CT scans can be used to help avoid invasive procedures.
- Computerized tomography (CT) scans provide vastly superior image quality and resolution when compared to regular X-rays.
- High-quality 3D images produced with our cone beam CT scanner offer exceptional image quality.
To learn more about our dental services or to schedule a consultation with our dentist at our practice located at 2711 S Parker Rd., Aurora, CO 80014, you can either contact us via email or call H&M Family Dentistry at (303) 353-9611. We will be happy to assist you further.